Mississippi First champions transformative policy solutions ensuring educational excellence for every Mississippi child.
Mississippi is last when we should be first and first when we should be last. Mississippi First envisions a Mississippi first in prosperity, quality of life, and innovation. To accomplish this goal, our work is dedicated to increasing educational achievement and graduation rates, and decreasing the achievement gap.
Mississippi First is dedicated to advancing the best education policy ideas through the policy continuum—research and analysis, public awareness and issue education, advocacy (Legislative & Administrative), implementation, and evaluation.
- Results: We only support policies which are backed by high-quality research and have the potential to solve or alleviate entrenched problems.
- Accountability: We hold ourselves and others, especially those who influence education, accountable for truth and transparency.
- Transparency: We foster honest dialogue about policy research, options, and challenges of different solutions, and willingly communicate our priorities, goals, and strategies to the public and policymakers.
- Engagement: We build relationships within and among local communities to increase citizen voice and engagement especially among important education issues facing Mississippi.
- Equity: We believe all children in Mississippi deserve educational excellence and prioritize those who are or have been underserved.
- Non-Partisanship: We work with policymakers, politicians, and members of the public who share our goals, regardless of ideology or political party.
- Collaboration: We form partnerships with organizations and youth with similar goals in order to amplify our collective efforts to better Mississippi.
View our current Mississippi First Strategic Plan.