Tennessee and Delaware! That’s what EdWeek reports today on their Politics K-12 blog. The official announcement will be at 1 P.M. Eastern/Noon Central. When I saw Secretary Duncan on Thursday, he re-iterated that he was setting a very, very high bar. No joke!
Now comes the hard part…competing against the 14 finalists who didn’t win in Round 2. I am amazingly curious about the comments that reviewers are going to give to Louisiana and Florida.
Immediate commonalities that pop out at me:
- both TN and DE had 100% of students represented in their plans and
- both have charter school legislation
- both are adopting Common Core and common assessments
- both are really using data
- both are focusing on the distribution of effective teachers
- both have strong support from the unions (although TN is a Right to Work state)
More after the announcement today.