The Mississippi Public Charter Schools Act of 2013 went into effect on July 1, 2013. Since then, the Mississippi Charter School Authorizer Board has been established to implement the law. Learn more below.
Mississippi Charter School Authorizer Board
The Mississippi Charter School Authorizer Board (MCSAB) is responsible for authorizing and supervising charter schools in Mississippi. The MCSAB can only approve up to 15 applications each year.
The first charter schools are expected to open in Fall 2015. The Board evaluates the qualifications of charter school applicants, approves qualified applications, and oversees the schools to ensure they fulfill the provisions of the charter contract. The Board is made up of 7 appointees: 3 by the governor, 3 by the lieutenant governor, and 1 by the Board of Education. Appointments are made with the advice and consent of the Senate.
The current Mississippi Charter School Authorizer Board members are
- TOMMIE CARDIN, Appointed by the Lt. Governor
- KRYSTAL CORMACK, CHAIR, Appointed by the Governor
- DR. KAREN ELAM, Appointed by the Lt. Governor
- LELAND SPEED, Appointed by the Governor
- CHRIS WILSON, Appointed by the Governor
- DR. CAREY WRIGHT, Appointed by the State Superintendent of Education
- DR. JEAN YOUNG, Appointed by the Lt. Governor
To view additional MSF Charter School Resources visit our Charter School Publications page.