Individuals or corporations who make a contribution to support the local matching fund of an approved early learning collaborative may be eligible to receive a 1:1 state tax credit for the donated amount up to $4,000,000.
The Mississippi Department of Revenue can approve 1:1 tax credits up to the amount the Legislature appropriates to the Early Learning Collaborative Act each year. For 2017, the Legislature appropriated $4,000,000; therefore, the sum of the donations eligible for the tax credit may not exceed $4,000,000. If a taxpayer attempts to claim the tax credit after the cap has been reached, the taxpayer will not be eligible to receive the tax credit.
More Tax Credit Resources:
- Pre-K Tax Incentive One Pager (Updated 10/19/2018)
- Pre-K Tax Credit FAQ (Updated 10/19/2018)
- 2018-2019 State-Funded Pre-K Collaborative List and Map (9/11/2018)
- Donors Contributed Nearly $1.6 million to Early Learning Collaboratives in 2016
Approved State-Funded Pre-K Collaboratives in Mississippi
- Clarke County Early Learning Partnership, Clarke County
- Coahoma County Pre-K Collaborative, Clarksdale
- Corinth-Alcorn-Prentiss Early Learning Collaborative, Corinth
- Lamar County Early Learning Collaborative, Lamar County
- McComb Community Collaborative for Early Learning Success, McComb
- Monroe Early Learning Collaborative, Monroe County
- Petal Early Learning Collaborative, Petal
- Picayune School District Early Head Start, Picayune
- Sunflower County Early Learning Collaborative, Sunflower County
- Tallahatchie Early Learning Alliance, Tallahatchie County
- Canton, Mississippi Early Learning Collaborative, Canton*
- Starkville Oktibbeha Early Learning Collaborative, Oktibbeha County*
- Greenwood-Leflore County Early Learning Collaborative, Leflore County*
- Grenada Early Learning Collaborative, Grenada*
*On Nov. 10, 2016, the Mississippi State Board of Education voted to add four new early learning collaboratives (ELC) to the current list of 10 to provide high-quality early childhood education programs to 4-year-old students. Their contracts will start January 2017.
For more information about the tax credit, contact Angela Bass. If you are interested in donating to an approved state-funded pre-K collaborative, we encourage you to reach out directly to the collaboratives listed above.