Mississippi First has closely followed the state’s accountability policies since our founding, MSF began this program area in 2014 as part of an effort to support the Mississippi College and Career Ready Standards, which the State Board of Education adopted for Mississippi in 2010. MSF has been the leading voice for the standards outside of the Department of Education. Having high standards and meaningful testing and accountability policies are important to every child but especially vulnerable children who benefit greatly from high expectations and increased learning—not testing—time.
BY FY18, the MS College and Career Ready Standards will be Common Core-aligned, implemented statewide, and coupled with reasonable testing and accountability policies.
- Research: In March 2017, we released Mississippi Voices: Public Perception of Pre-K-12 Education in Mississippi. The report reveals public perceptions of the issues that Mississippi First supports as well as perceptions of the broader public education context in Mississippi.
- Engagement: Learn more about our Educator Leadership Council, a group of teachers dedicated to supporting higher educational standards for Mississippi students.
- Support: Read our statement in support of the Mississippi College and Career Ready Standards
If you are interested in learning more about how to support the Mississippi College and Career Ready Standards, contact Angela at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mississippi College and Career Ready Standards
- Are grade-specific learning benchmarks in math and literacy that build on each other, step-by-step, grade level to grade level.
- Connect curriculum to skills needed in the modern workplace, such as problem-solving, collaboration, communication, and creativity.
- Create the same expectations for every student, which allows parents to understand exactly where their student stands at every grade level.
- Are college- and career-ready standards, meaning they prepare every student for what lies beyond graduation.
Additional Mississippi College and Career Ready Standards Resources
- Common Core FAQ
- Common Core Fact vs. Fiction
- Mississippi College and Career Ready Standards for Mathematics
- Mississippi College and Career Ready Standards for ELA
- EdReports.org– is an independent nonprofit designed to improve K-12 education. Their free reviews focus on alignment to the Common Core and other indicators of high quality as recommended by educators.